Most Recommended Domain Registrars
How to find a Good Domain Name
Domain is the name of a web site and it also your brand online, so before you rush out for a name, it’s worthwhile to spend some time to think about a good one for it. Below we will show you how.
Domain Name should be Relevant & Meaningful
Think about why you launch a web site, your domain name should be relevant to it.
- If you have already built up a brand offline, and just want to expand your business to be online, then you should register a domain which matches your brand.
- Try to include the key word of your business in your domain. If your site talks about web hosting, then including “Hosting” or “Host” in domain could be a good idea. Including key word in domain will also help make your site descriptive, most of visitors come to your site through the search engines and via direct links on other websites. That is, they will come if the domain that they will see will be appealing.
- Some people might create a site just want it to be ranked well in search result for a specific key word in Google, then it would be good the domain name could contain all those words. But keep in mind, this type of domain name might bring you some quick free traffic, but it’s hard to be a good business from long run.
- If you create a personal site to talk about yourself or your family, then you could consider registering a domain with your name, family name, nickname or anything that your friends know this is YOU.
- If you want to build a new brand online, just like a name like “Google”, “Amazon”, etc, then you should forget all above and start thinking about something short & memorable. The return from a successful brand is huge, but normally, it will take a lot of effort and budget.
Although you can register a domain names up to 67 characters, it doesn’t means you should use them all. A short domain name will bring you many benefits, such as it is easy to be remembered, could avoid misspelling, and more. Try to register the short name which is meaningful. Don’t make it too abbreviated. In terms of the length of domain, it would be good to be below 10, and no more than 20. And for the number of words, one-word domains are gold, two-word ones are good, three-word domains are average, and above that it is usually a bad idea.
Make it Memorable
An easy to be remembered domain name is critical to the success of your online business especially you want to build a new Word online. A memorable domain should be Short, Easy to Spell, and Easy to be remember. Try to put together strange combinations of words or repeats sounds till you could come out a word that your tongue gets twisted around any syllables. Whatever your domain name, it should stick in the mind.
Avoid using Plural, hyphens or numbers
We should avoid using plural, hyphens or numbers as much as possible. People tend to forget typing those characters, which might result in they are directed to your competitor’s site. But in the other word, the non-hyphenated form may no longer be available. At least this way, you still get the domain you want. And search engines (such as Google) can distinguish your keywords better and thus return your site more prominently in search results for those keywords occurring in your domain name. Unless you create site to get better ranking in search Engine for a specific keyword, I would suggest avoiding above characters if possible. Before you register a domain with hyphens, try to think about an alternative one.
Choose the Right Domain Extensions
A domain name can end in .com, .net, .org, .info, .us, .biz, .tv and more, which we call the Domain Extensions. You have many domain extensions to choose from, but the most common one is .com. And each country can have their own domain extension as well, such as “.co.uk” is a domain from UK, “.cn” is for China and “.jp” for Japan. So before you apply for a domain name, you will need to decide a domain extension for your web site based on your target readers, if it’s worldwide, .com is the best choice for you, but if you want to only target local community, such as selling perfume in UK, then an extension with co.uk might be a better choice as the people there know that they are dealing with a local entity, which is what they want. Protect your name by registering multiple extensions (.net, .org, etc.) This deters people from copying your name. This is extremely important when you plan to make your site as a global brand. You should register almost all the country level domain to protect your business once you expand the business to those countries. You don’t have to build a site on all the domains, but you can reserve the others to keep people (copycats) from registering them.
Finally, if you plan to register a domain, don’t forget to use our domain search tool to find a domain at cheapest price.